Work from anywhere programs continue to gain traction in all industries. It allows team members more flexibility and for organizations to reduce costs by not needing large office spaces. While there are some wonderful benefits to these programs, there are also some important considerations when establishing this as an option.
Thoughts on Work from Anywhere Programs
Nearly all industries have the ability to offer some, if not most, of their staff the ability to work from anywhere. In fact, the number of people who work remotely, either full- or part-time, increases each year. There are great benefits to establishing a remote work policy. There are also some important considerations to be made when doing so.
Benefits of a work from anywhere program:
- Studies show that people are more productive when they work remotely.
- Allowing team members to work from anywhere increases retention, especially with older workers who value the flexibility. This allows an organization to retain top talent, especially with more tenured members who create the foundation of the organization.
- Remote work programs allow team members to have an increased quality of life due the ability to have an increased commitment to personal and social commitments.
Considerations when establishing a work from anywhere program:
- A remote work program does not have to be all or nothing. Some organizations have flexible hours or allow work from home on certain days per week. In the beginning, when beta testing the program, one to two days per month or one week per quarter can help determine if the program is a good fit for the organization.
- If the program allows remote work on specific days, do not schedule meetings during this time unless absolutely necessary.
- Create clear expectations that are shared early and often.
- Involve team members when creating systems and standards for communication. Understand that the standards may change over time due to lessons learned, workflows, or technology.
- In order for a work from anywhere program to work, you must trust your staff to work successfully on a purely independent basis, as this will often be the case. Hiring highly accountable people is key if they are to participate in the program.
Final thoughts on work from anywhere programs. Being able to build and maintain the desired culture of your business is one of the biggest challenges organizations face when allowing team members to either have more flexible schedules or to work from home. Use of software such as Slack or Basecamp for daily interactions helps to keep everyone connected. Utilizing FaceTime, Skype, or Google Hangouts for meetings allow colleagues to feel connected, as well as puts a face to a name or voice for those who do not have the physical ability to easily get together on a regular basis in real life.
Remote work is a trend that is here to stay. Whether your organization chooses to implement it for all or some of its team members, it is important to be aware of the potential pitfalls to ensure that the program is successful for the organization and its customers.
Gary Vice is sought out by leaders in Software and Services who recognize the need to attract the industry’s best talent. Through Strategic Recruiting Partners’ extensive network of relationships, they are able to identify high level opportunities for well qualified candidates. To discover how this process can benefit your job search, simply reply to this email or call Gary at 469.402.4008.